Thursday, May 13, 2010

Finding Myself

I have been 45 years old for a week and 2 days. I guess that makes me a big girl now  - right? I wonder when I will start realizing that I am mid forties? It just has not sank in yet.

Do you know when people say "Oh! THAT looks like you" and they are talking about a shirt, a dress, a china cup and saucer? So after 40 1/2 decades I am reflecting - what makes me me? For crying out loud! I'm going to be a grandma. Shouldn't I know who I AM? Midlife crisis is what I am.

Classic. Trendy. Scene. Hippie, Emo. Stuck in the 80's.....Who am I? Who do I long to be?

I have a new haircut. I have really short bangs. To the rest of the world my hair IS short. However, in my world - anything covering my ears is long. Here are my thoughts on my short bangs.

1. If I am happy and have my sense of humor on - I look like an Oompa Loompa.
2. If I am grumpy - I look like Frankenstien.

These bangs of mine are going to put me over the edge. I thought I was a bang person. I thought bangs would be "me". I may have to try two tone hair. Bleach blonde underneath and black on top. If only I knew what really "looked like me." Extensions?

Clothes..... I think I am more trendy-vintage. I like capri's with big cuffs. I like converse. I love flip flops. I like cardigans every day. I bought a big watch. I've worn it once. It is as big as my hand.  I  read that women should buy mens watches. They are big and less fussy. I own one. But I opted for a womens watch that looked like a mans. Don't ask me why. The thing is as big as my foot. Did I say that already? It is huge. I think I limp when I wear it. But I think it is "me."  I want to wear a big watch and darn it -look good while I'm wearing it. If you need to know the time - you can see it WITHOUT the assistance of bifocals. You can even tell the time across the room from me.

Life is serious stuff. People are dying. Sick.Unemployed. Eruption Cysts. People need saved. from. their sins. right now. I know all that. However -  I want a day where I can just wallow in hair and clothes. Be totally superificial and shallow. Tomorrow I will be all about the "real world" Tomorow I will shape up. Pinky promise.

Today, I am going to be 13 all. day. long.

I'd love company. Won't you join me?

3 comments:

Abby Jones said...

I have really short bangs right now and I HATE them too. Especially because every day since I got them cut it has been raining and they curl and frizz up to the middle of my forehead.

Evy said...

You two make me laugh...I with you Steph though when people say "oh that is so you" what does that mean that they know me better then I know myself..? Maybe who knows and you are right on when there is way more serious stuff then our hair..but then...we seem to think it so important..I won't be 13 with you but maybe 45...

Sarah said...

You make me laugh...about your hair and Eruption cysts (did we even know that word before yesterday!)