Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy 5th Birthday!

We have been in our house for five years! Time does fly when you are having fun. I remember that moving weekend like it was yesterday. It was a really big move - right across the street.  We were in the middle of a major remodel of the house 2 weeks before and were not even close to finished with projects when we had to move in. Here are some of my fondest memories from five years ago.

  • The week of our move our family got the stomach flu.
  • My last living grandparent died.
  • My parents had too much going on to help me. I'm a big girl. I managed but I still missed them!
  • I had awful buyers remorse.
  • I thought the best way to get things finished was to work all night.
  • And work all day.
  • Loading up groceries in Abe's wagon and hauling it across the street.
  • Trying to order pizza at 1:00 a.m.
  • Painting - lots and lots of paint.
  • Days and days with very little sleep makes you see things not so clearly.
  • Boxes and boxes stacked on my front porch for days.
  • Which couch should I keep? Which couch should I sell?
  • I stopped doing laundry completely because I HATED going down into the basement.
  • We did not have a microwave.  I realized how much I used a microwave when we didn't have one.
  • Some wonderful people from church brought us in homecooked meals. I was so thankful for this.
  • My wonderful friends who showed up to help. And put things away. And organize all my junk. And bring me hot coffee. And homemade cookies. (I was not gluten free - Thank Goodness!) and help me keep things in perspective.
Yep - the friends are who got me through that weekend. They were the silver lining in those dark days.

And now five years later I am still thankful for my friends and family and all of the support they gave my family. And I love my home!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Crazy how FAST time goes...I do not remember the stomach flu???

Stephanie said...

The kids all had it the week of the move. Abe actually threw up on the steps and didn't eat Taco Bell for a very long time afterwards. Randy had it the day of the move.
I NEVER got it!

Nancy said...

You have the coolest house ever!