Abe is a go-getter. He is a first degree black belt and he is getting ready to test for his second degree. He can climb to the top of our house and see McPherson. He climbs to the teeniest tiniest twig clear at the top a tree. He loves all of outdoors. He is a take charge kind of kid. He loves the water and shooting guns and slingshots. He is Mr. Independent.
He went to summer camp for the first time on Monday.
When I packed him up and kissed him good-bye I had that mommy feeling. If I know one thing only it is this: I know my kids. (OK - except when Abby decided to get married in 30 days - THAT surprised me) So I had an ace in the hole. His sister went to camp with him. To be a counselor.
So I was a little surprised when I got the call last night. A sobbing, hyper ventilating little boy wanting his mommy and daddy. He couldn't find his toothpaste OR his black shorts with the white stripes he was supposed to wear to sleep. Did I mention he was a little hysterical? He wanted his mommy and daddy?
After our talk, Annie took him for a Gatorade and Starbursts. There isn't too much that candy and Gatorade doesn't fix for a 9 year old little boy.
I asked Annie how SHE was doing at camp. She was exhausted. The night before four girls had been homesick. She tried to comfort them telling them if she survived going off to college they could surely survive a few days at camp! She braided hair and made them all feel better. There isn't much cute hair won't fix for 9 year old girls. Girls of any age, really.
Tomorrow my campers come home.
Did I mention that I am homesick for both of them?
2 comments:
You have such a unique family. I love reading about and knowing you all!! Sorry I was in such a bad mood last we talked...you know how it is!
I didn't realize you actually talked to him! I thought you were just getting info via Annie. How heartbreaking. I hope he comes home with stories about how much fun he had. :)
Post a Comment